Thursday, August 30, 2007

Quit Smoking Remedies

Quitting Smoking: A Difficult but Crucial Task


These are 5 natural remedies that have been explored to help people quit smoking.




1) Acupuncture
Acupuncture is a commonly used therapy to help people quit smoking.


The acupuncture needles used are usually hair-thin, and they are inserted into various points in the ear where they remain for about 20 minutes.


For help in between sessions, many acupuncturists provide tiny balls (the size of the tip of a ball point pen), that are taped with invisible tape to the ear. When a craving for cigarettes hits, the smoker is instructed to press gently on the ball, which stimulates the acupuncture point.


A 2006 study analyzed 24 placebo-controlled trials on acupuncture, acupressure, laser therapy, or electrostimulation for smoking cessation.



There was no consistent evidence that these therapies were effective for smoking cessation. The researchers, however, concluded that further research was needed because the poor design of many of the studies made it difficult to draw a conclusion.



One study involving 141 people found that acupuncture plus education on smoking cessation was four times as effective as acupuncture alone.
The study also found that acupuncture plus education was twice as effective as sham acupuncture plus education.



For more information about acupuncture, read the Acupuncture Fact Sheet.




2) Lobelia
The herb lobelia (Lobelia inflata) has been promoted to help people fight the effects of nicotine withdrawal and is found in many anti-smoking products. The active ingredient in lobelia, lobeline, is thought to have similar actions on the body as nicotine.


In 1993, however, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) temporarily prohibited the sale of certain lobelia products marketed to help people quit smoking. According to the report, the reason was because evidence showed they were not effective.


Later research has shown that lobeline may increase levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the brain similar to cigarettes. Dopamine influences mood and produces feelings of pleasure. There is still no evidence, however, showing that lobelia supplements help people quit smoking.


Lobelia is a potentially toxic herb, and should not be used unless under the supervision of a qualified health practitioner. It can cause dry mouth, profuse sweating, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, rapid heartbeat, confusion, convulsions, coma, and in larger doses, even death.


People with heart disease, high blood pressure, heart disease, tobacco sensitivity, paralysis, seizure disorder, shortness of breath, or who are recovering from shock should not take this herb. Pregnant and nursing women and children should also not take lobelia.




3) St. Johns wort
Although the herb St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)is used primarily for depression, there is some preliminary research on this herb to help people quit smoking.


In one pilot study, 24 people who smoked 1 or more cigarettes a day received St. John's wort (450 mg capsule 2 times a day) plus smoking cessation counseling.
After 12 weeks, 37.5% or 9 out of 24 people had quit.


Another pilot study found some effect, but the results were not long-term. Twenty-eight smokers were randomized to receive St. John's wort (300 mg once or twice a day), either once or twice daily for one week before quitting and continued for 3 months after. In addition, all participants received motivational/behavioural support. At 3 months, 18% continued to abstain from smoking. At a 12 month followup, it was 0%. Neither study was double-blind or placebo controlled, so they cannot be used as evidence.


Although St. John's Wort appears to be reasonably safe when taken alone, it can interfere with the effectiveness of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, such as antidepressants, drugs to treat HIV infections and AIDs, drugs to prevent organ rejection for transplant patients, and oral contraceptives.


St. John's wort is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women, children, or people with bipolar disorder, liver or kidney disease.



For more articles on St. John's wort, go to the St. John's wort article index.




4) GinsengGinseng
has been shown to prevent the prevent the nicotine-induced release of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Dopamine is what makes people feel good after smoking and is part of the addiction process.


Although intriguing, no studies to date have examined whether ginseng supplements can help people quit smoking.


For more information about ginseng, read the Ginseng Fact Sheet.




5) HypnotherapyIn

2000, a study by the Cochrane Collaboration analyzed nine longer-term studies on the use of hypnotherapy to quit smoking. The researchers found that hypnotherapy was not more effective on 6 month quit rates than other treatments or than no treatment.

.

Two subsequent studies had more promising results. In 2006, a pilot study examined the effect of hypnotherapy (one visit a week for 8 weeks) or no treatment (people were put on a waiting list). After the 8 weeks, 40% had abstained from smoking. At 12 months, 60% had abstained, and at 26 weeks, the abstinence rate was 4%.

In the second study, researchers looked at 12 hypnosis studies that reported the results by gender and found that the odds of achieving smoking abstinence were 1.37 times greater for male than female participants.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Female smokers who smoke from an early age run high risks of getting heart disorders. Infact the risks that they face are double as compared to their male counterparts. It has been proved that smoking yields much more adverse effects on women as compared to men. http://www.chantixhome.com

Anonymous said...

We suggest you to buy chantix to
quit the very dangerous 'nicotine' addiction by having the anti-smoking magic pill
'Chantix' which is Pfizer manufactured and approved by FDA on May 11,2006.For more
sophisticated information about the side-effects of smoking and the treatment of it,
Please logon to Chantix Online.

Jessica Morgan said...

Hello i am Jessica Morgan from united kingdom let me share this testimony to the world to hear about him too this man really exit I was HIV positive over 9year I have being in medication and I try to look for cure to my problem and I go through internet doctor and I found a tradition doctor named DR.Ekpiku I contacted him for help he give me all his laws and rule that if I get cured I should write about him and that is what i'm doing now, this man ask for some information about me, which I give him this man cure me from HIV what a great man thank for your help when he get the information he told me that he is about to work on it 20 to 30 minute this man email me and told me what to do for the curing which I did after all the things needed for the cure is provide the man call me in 24 hours later and tell me to go for test what a great day to me I was negative thanks Dr.Ekpiku contact him email address, ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com or ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. . HERPES . HIV/AIDS . CANCER

John Williams said...

Herpes Finally Gone, thanks to Dr. Utu for his Herbal Treatment.
I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I was on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight the virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment. He gave me Dr Utu's contact. I contacted him immediately, This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! Feel Free to contact Dr Utu Email:- drutuherbalcure@gmail.com OR WhatsApp :- +2347032718477

Amanda larry said...

Contact Robinson.buckler@yahoo. com He gave me herbal medication that terminated my daughter's Herpes Virus................

Natasha lanos said...

FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS.
what a miracle i never believe there is cure because my doctor tested me herpes positive and she told me there is no cure, i’m very happy today that i’m having a free life without this herpes virus, i can remember some months ago when i was crying all through the night and day that i can’t get cured from this herpes, i found this herbal man called Dr sunny on internet when i was doing research on cure for shingle i contacted him to found out if i can get help from this herpes virus, i was so surprise when he told me that he have the herbs cure to it and he sent me the herbal in less down 5 days i was so happy when i get someone giving me hope that he can cured me i took the herbal for just 2 weeks, when i went for test after taking the herbal i found out that i am cured i was so happy and surprise, i want to use this opportunity to inform you that there is cured to herpes virus you can also contact him for his help as soon as possible so that you can get rid of this herpes once and for all you can reach him through this email: drsunnyna@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2348077875210 You can also contact him on any disease and virus in this he all have the herbal cure to it.
1 HIV/AIDS
2 HERPES
3 CANCER
4 ALS
5 HEPATITIS
6 DIABETES
7 LOVE SPELL
8 INFECTIONS
9 HIGN BLOOD PRESSURE,.....
THANKS TO DR SUNNY FOE THE GOOD WORK IN LIFE YOU ARE TRULY A BLESS.....

Heather Matt said...

I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Odion who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this Dr Odion email on a Facebook of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drodionherbalhome12@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2349019421176. he can also help with this following sickness DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV/CURE/LUPUS/
HEPATITIS

peace maker said...

with the herbs and roots that Dr chala prepare you will be free from that virus I promise you

I'm telling you today to contact doctor chala from west Africa dr.chalaherbalhome@gmail.com
he is from west Africa where roots and herbs has been find to cure all type of diseases meet him on https://
drchalaherbalhome.godaddysites.com or https://mywa.link/dr.chalaherbalhome🧏‍♂️🧏‍♂️❤️❤️❤️💯🧏‍♂️🧏‍♂️

Max D said...

I panicked when I saw the first sore. The medicines couldn't heal the sores completely, my whole life I was entirely desperate. Till I found the natural permanent cure for herpes through Nze Njoku Herbal Home, I felt like I was born-again. You can get rid of herpes from now on, too
Reach Nze Njoku Herbal Home on
nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com,
Contact their number,
+2349072733661.