The following article gives information about cold and flu problems.
It is possible to effectively ease the pain and discomfort of colds and flu, naturally.
Cold and Flu Remedies=The time to treat a cold is when you don't have it.! Prevention is always better than cure. However the same herbs that keep colds and flu at bay, will also help you get rid of it faster.
The common cold is caused by any one of 200 different viruses. When infection occurs , the walls of the respiratory tract swell and produce excess mucus, giving rise to the typical cold symptoms. Symptoms range from sore throat, running nose, nasal congestion, watery eyes to hacking cough, headache, and fever. Most colds run their course in 7-10 days. Recurrent colds (almost constantly suffering) may indicate a lowered immune capacity and too much stress and often not enough sleep.
Colds spread from person to person and are highly contagious. Coughing, sneezing or hand to hand contact will easily pass the virus on. The virus can also live for several hours on everyday surfaces.
What Your Doctor Doesn't Know-
By Dr. Loretta Lanphier, ND, CN, HHP
Flu typically affects 20 to 50 percent of the U.S. population each winter. The flu virus can
linger in the air for as long as three hours. In close quarters, conditions are ripe for the spread of the virus. That explains why the highest incidence of the flu is in 5- to 18-year-olds, who spend much of their time in school, in close contact with their classmates.
The most serious complications occur in older adults, however. Do not give aspirin or other "salicylates" to children or teenagers with symptoms of a cold or flu. Don't bother taking antibiotics to treat your flu or cold; antibiotics do not kill viruses, and they should be used only for bacterial infections. Overuse of antibiotics has become a very serious problem, leading to a resistance in disease-causing bacteria that may render antibiotics ineffective for certain conditions. According to a National Survey OTC cough and cold medication sales totaled 3.2 billion dollars in 1995, That's no surprise, considering Americans endure about 1 billion colds each year. The "experts" will use fear to motivate people to get a flu vaccine, but this is yet another healthcare illusion.
Let's be clear, flu can definitely be a killer disease and is not something that should be easily dismissed. But, remember that flu shots don't prevent illness--never have, never will. The flu vaccine can actually weaken the immune system and make you more predisposed to the illness. And the side effects of FluMist, cough, runny nose/nasal congestion, irritability, headaches, chills, muscle aches and fever, sound just like the symptoms of the flu. If you decide to get the nasal flu vaccine, you will get not only a live flu virus in each dose but also table sugar and MSG, which are fraught with their own problems. If you take the shot you may get mercury as an added bonus.
One particular herb has recently had a lot of press coverage and marketing as a 'new' cure for colds. Echinacea has in fact been used by America Indians for hundreds of years. It is native to the North America Plains, but varieties of the species are now found on most continents. Echinacea increases levels of properdin, a chemical which activates the part of the immune system responsible for increasing defence mechanisms against virus and bacteria attacks.
Its anti-bacterial effect makes it a good herb for treating many viral and bacterial infections. Echinacea is also an excellent blood cleanser, it helps to sweep dead cells and other debris through the channels of the lymphatic system. And dispatches white blood cells to fight the infection. The best test to determine if you are taking a good, high strength echinacea is the tongue test. After you have taken the tincture, the back of your tongue should feel numb or tingly. This feeling will soon pass, but you know you are using a good quality product. So when you feel the cold coming on - reach for the echinacea tincture. It is important to try to take echinacea before the full onset of a cold or flu to give the best chance of a swift recovery.
No treatment of colds would be complete without Garlic. This pungent herb was highly esteemed by the ancient Egyptians, who ensured that the slaves building the Great Pyramids at Cheops were given a daily supply. The Romans also acknowledged garlic's strengthening powers and fed it to their soldiers before battle. Garlic has anti-bacterial properties that help the immune system to fight infection, it is an excellent boost to the immune system. The reason for this is garlic contains several helpful compounds, including allicin, one of the plant kingdom's most potent antibiotics. Garlic combines well with echinacea and together make a strong fighting force against infections.
is a close relative of Garlic and has similar properties, containing similar antiviral chemicals. Use onions and leeks in your cooking when you have a cold or are around people who do.
is another of natures' antiviral herbs. It contains nearly a dozen antiviral compounds. Ginger is pain relieving, antiseptic and antioxidant. It is valuable for preventing and treating colds, sore throats and inflammation of mucus membranes. Ginger reduces pain and fever and has a mild sedative effect that will encourage rest. And it is tasty! (with no lingering odours!) Drink a tea, or soak fresh ginger in hot water, take as a tincture and include it in your food. Ginger is also delicious in a fruit smoothy (a mix of soft chilled fruits put in a blender).
Vitamin C -
is very good for the relief of cold symptoms and to help the body fight infection. The best source of vitamins is always fresh fruit and vegetables. Citrus fruit is especially high in vitamin C. Combine orange, pineapple, seedless grapes, lots of fresh ginger, banana, pink grapefruit, cantaloupe in a blender. Add orange juice if more liquid is needed. This not only makes a delicious drink, but is healthy and fights that cold.
* When you have a cold or flu your body is under a lot of stress, fighting the viral infection. Big, heavy meals take vital energy to digest, resources which your body could be using to fight the infections. An old saying states "Feed a cold and starve a fever". A better saying is "Starve a cold and starve a fever". The best thing to do is drink plenty of liquids - water, fruit juices and if needed soups, but stay away from heavy and high processed food. High liquid intake is important as the body uses water to carry waste products and toxins to your elimination systems.
is both antiseptic and immune stimulating, increasing blood supply to the spleen. The spleen is the bodies staging area for the fighting cells in your immune system. Berberine is present in goldenseal, and activates macrophages (special white blood cells), which are responsible for destruction of bacteria, fungi, viruses and tumour cells.
Herbalists have been using liquorice to soothe chest and throat complaints since the third century BC. It is used in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis, throat problems, colds and coughs. Liquorice contains anti-viral compounds that induce the release of interferon, the bodies own anti-viral constituents. It is an expectorant* and anti-inflammatory making it excellent for stubborn coughs and lung infections. As well as being a soothing herb, liquorice tastes nice! Large doses can act as a laxative.
*expectorant: promoting the secretion, liquefaction or expulsion of sputum (mass or salivary matter ejected from the mouth) from the respiratory passages.
is a traditional remedy of long standing for soothing sore throats as it has antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties. For an inflamed throat and hoarseness use a hot sage infusion or gargle with a sage, apple cider vinegar and honey mix. In feverish conditions, sage is very cooling. Take as a tea or tincture.
is a valuable expectorant* in the treatment of bronchitis, colds and flu. It reduces fevers by inducing sweating and cooling the body. It is also a painkiller for headaches and some migraines. It is a soothing decongestant and makes an effective inhalation for clearing blocked sinuses.
Lemon Balm tea promotes sweating. This is good for feverish colds as it helps to eliminate the toxins from the body.
More commonly know as Bramble. The fruit is rich in vitamin C. The leaves can be used to make a cleansing tea, or make a poultice from fresh, lightly boiled leaves.
A versatile herb, borage promotes sweating and has expectorant* properties, both of which are beneficial for feverish, chesty colds.
Catnip or Catmint, promotes perspiration and a hot infusion is good for feverish colds and flu's. Catnip is also a muscle relaxant and mild sedative so will help to induce sleep.
Will stop vomiting and relieve feelings of nausea. Take as a tea. Cinnamon oil also had anti-bacterial properties.
Has expectorant qualities. It is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and soothing. It can ease coughs and sore throats.
Steam inhalations of Juniper is beneficial for relieving congestion in coughs and colds. Add a few drops of the oil to hot boiled water, place your face over the bowl, cover with a towel, and inhale the steam.
Lemons are a rich source of vitamin c, and taken hot in a hot lemon and honey drink, is a traditional remedy for colds and sore throats.
Yarrow has anti-inflammatory properties, and a hot yarrow tea will promote sweating. Many herbalists consider yarrow to be one of the principle herbal remedies for fever, feverish colds and flu. It is often taken in combination with elderflower and peppermint. Or try adding a strong infusion of yarrow and camomile to a warm bath.
Other herbs which will assist in combating and relieving colds are:
Building A Healthy Immune System: Your #1 Defense
1) Detoxify your digestive tract and liver/gallbladder now. Disease often begins in the digestive tract and the liver is the main filter of the body. When either or both of these are sluggish then your body can be ripe for illness. This will prepare your body to readily be able to absorb, utilize and transport the good food and supplements that you will be using. It is good to do this in the Fall and in the Spring.
2) Eliminate all sugar. A teaspoon of sugar can bring the immune system down for up to 6 hours. Natural, healthy substitutes for sugar are stevia, agave nectar and Xylitol. It is best for you to satisfy your taste buds with fresh, organic fruits. Be sure to eat the whole fruit. Juicing your fruit will cause your insulin levels to spike.
3) Change your diet. Your immune system will flourish on a diet of organic fruits and vegetables. Two raw salads a day will help to provide you body with much-needed vitamins and nutrients. Incorporate soups and stews into your diet. If you eat meat make sure that it is organic and free-range. Cook with organic, unrefined coconut oil (try to consume 2 tablespoons daily) and for salads use organic, unrefined, cold-pressed olive oil. Try to stay away from pre-packaged foods and those foods that are canned or bagged. Purchase organic, free-range eggs and organic butter. Substitute pasteurized/homogenized milk with almond milk. You can also bake/cook with almond milk.
4) Eat a clove of garlic every day. Garlic acts in the body as a natural antibiotic. You must smash the clove in order to realize the immune enhancing properties.
5) Drink half your body weight in water every day. Our body is 95% water. We must put back what we eliminate through breathing, sweating and urination. Water helps the kidneys to continually flush toxins from the body. Make sure that you are drinking pure, clean water. I recommend distilled with organic apple cider vinegar added to replace the minerals lost through distillation.
6) Exercise every single day. Exercise not only helps with blood circulation and to keep unwanted pounds away but also can help with depression. Exercise helps to move the lymph system, which will in-turn move toxins from the body. Walking outdoor will help your body with Vitamin D production. For those who don’t experience a lot of sunshine it is recommended that you supplement with Vitamin D under the care of a health professional.
7) Adequate Sleep. Almost 80% of the population is sleep deprived. Sleep is necessary for our body to repair and heal. The body does the most healing between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. There is no such think as catching-up on sleep as once it is lost—it cannot be regained through marathon sleeping. Getting adequate rest allows the immune system to repair and be in top condition.
8) Take a good organic multi-vitamin/mineral formula + Vitamin C. Unfortunately eating organically doesn’t always protect us in a perfect manner. The soil conditions and the fact that herbicides and pesticides are carried through the air makes it necessary to supplement with vitamins that our body may not be receiving from our food intake. I have found one that I consider the “Cadillac” when it comes to providing the body with everything it needs to continue in health. Take 1 gram of Vitamin C daily in divided doses.
9) Wash your hands frequently. Wash your hands in the mornings, after every meal, after all outings, after shaking hands with people, after each trip to the bathroom and before bed. Teach your children to do the same. Do not use antibacterial soaps. The antibacterial compounds found in most of these soaps sold in the United States are likely contributing to the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Use a good all-natural soap from the health food store. Wash with warm water and use a nailbrush along the nail line and in-between fingers. Make sure that you keep your hands away from your eyes and mouth.
10) Deal with stress. Repeated stress is one of the main causes of a suppressed immune system. Learn to manage your stress with meditation, deep breathing, walks in nature, good music, Yoga, Pilates and removing yourself from negative situations. Refuse to allow anyone or any situation to make you stressful. There are natural supplements that you can incorporate to help with stress such as Lithium Orotate or SamE.
In Case Of Flu—Items To Have On Hand—Your #1 Offense
1) Hydrogen Peroxide.
In 1928 Richard Simmons, M.D. hypothesized that colds and flu virus enter through the ear canal. The medical community dismissed his findings. According to Dr. Simmons, contrary to what you may think or have been taught about how you catch the flu or the cold there is only one way that you can catch the two, and that's via the ear canal not through the eyes or nose or mouth as most have believed. We have found good results in curing the flu & cold within 12 to 14 hours when administering a few drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) into each infected ear, (sometimes only one ear is infected) The H2O2 starts working within 2 to 3 minutes in killing the flu or cold; there will be some bubbling and in some cases mild stinging occurs. Wait until the bubbling & stinging subside (usually 5 to 10 min) then drain onto tissue and repeat other ear. A bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide in 3% solution is available at any drug store for a couple of dollars. Although this method is perfectly safe for infant/children to use, the loud bubbling and stinging frightens them, they'll need someone they trust to put the hp in their ears. (Don’t get h2o2 in the eyes- if you do, flush with water).
2) Colloidal Silver.
Colloidal Silver is anti-bacterial and anti-viral. It has an antibiotic effect on the body. More ppm does not necessarily make a good colloidal silver. In fact the lower the ppm the better able for it to penetrate the cell wall. Call your healthcare professional for therapeutic dosages.
3) Oregano Oil.
Oregano Oil can be as an effective pain reliever as morphine. Place 1 drop of oregano oil in 1 ounce of warm water. Make sure that the oil is dispersed. Place 1-2 drops of the mixture in each nostril and sniff. The mixture will burn for about 30 seconds. This will help to break up sinus congestion. Do this 3-4 times daily and before bed. To take orally drop 3-5 drops in a veggie cap and take with food three times daily. Oregano Oil is also anti-bacterial and anti-viral.
4) Vitamin C.
Make sure that it is ascorbic acid. Capsules and liquid are best. Take up to bowel tolerance. Taking the recommended dosage on the bottle will not be enough—for preventative purposes, double or triple it. If sick, divide the dosage and take some every hour---up to 5 grams daily.
5) Drink lots of fresh vegetable juice and pure, clean water.
Flooding the body with liquids will help to flush out toxins and will also give the body added enzymes (helps with inflammation and pain) and nutrients.
6) Premier 8 –
Glyconutrients have been given the title of “the new class of missing nutrients” or “miracle sugars”. Scores of studies have linked a deficiency of the extraordinary sugars to everything from lupus and diabetes to heart disease to cancer; from ADHD to infertility. Dozens of illnesses have been linked to an imbalance of these sugars. This is NOT the same as table sugar. Order the book Miracle Sugars by Rita Elkins for more explanation. Glyconutrients may represent the best of preventative medicine and may help with the following: viral infection, fungal infection, parasitic disease, bacterial disease, micro-bacterial disease, auto-immune disease. Providing the immune system with the right glyconutrients helps it recognize infectious organisms more readily. Remember, it is the “glycol” or sugar portion of both our immune cells and invading organisms that transfer messages. There is only one company (multi-level) that currently offers a similar product for a much higher price. You can get Premier 8 only through Oasis Advanced Wellness.
7) Zinc Lozenges –
According to Dr. Joseph Mercola, when using zinc lozenges it is important to recognize that they need to be sucked on, NOT swallowed, and smaller doses taken more frequently seem to work better. Suck on a quarter lozenge every 30 minutes. If started early, this approach seems to work well for the majority of people. One caution: if the lozenges make you nauseous they should be stopped immediately as this is a sign of zinc toxicity. If you take preventative steps now you will be doing yourself a huge favor. Make sure that you are prepared in the flu happens to hit you or a family member. If your immune system is at a peak level then your “down time” and side-effects should be minimal. Talk with your family about the suggestions in this article and then implement as many as possible. You will be glad that you started early!
Dr. Loretta Lanphier, ND, CN, HHP is a Doctor of Naturopath, Clinical Nutritionist and Holistic Health Practitioner in the Houston, TX area and Founder / CEO of Oasis Advanced Wellness. A teacher, educator and seminar speaker, she counsels Oasis Advanced Wellness clients on the aspects of getting the body healthy and keeping the body healthy and also develops customized health programs to help clients get healthy. As a cancer survivor, she is able to relate extensively, both as a patient and a practitioner, to clients suffering from disease. She is also involved in researching new alternative disease treatments and products. Dr. Lanphier is Editor and contributor to the worldwide E-newsletter Advanced Health & Wellness. To receive a free subscription go to: www.oasisadvancedwellness.com Be sure and visit our bio identical hormonal balancing site at www.menopause-pms-progesterone.org and www.oasisserene.com We would love to become your “partner in health.”